The NLINK® Flat File eXtender® delivers the capability to manage integration of legacy or proprietary systems through the exchange of ASCII files within the NLINK environment. The communication can be bi-directional – exchanging both input and output data as flat files. The file format is completely configurable and automatically handles remote storage and retrieval of files through FTP or input notification through file system trigger.
Many legacy systems currently manage integration via flat file format. It is an easy and convenient way to handle batch interface requirements. By utilizing flat files for integrating to systems that don’t require transaction-based data exchange, companies are able to create the optimal interface based on functional requirements.
Companies use a mind-boggling variety of ASCII file formats to support their data exchange and integration efforts. Compounding the problem is the fact that even so-called industry standard flat file formats, such as EDI, are modified, extended and implemented in a multitude of ways. These pervasive problems are a large part of the reason why self-defining flat file formats, such as XML, are widely used today.
The NLINK Flat File eXtender easily copes with this proliferation of formats through an extremely sophisticated Generic Message formatting capability. It has been deployed in a number of operational environments handling such disparate ASCII formats as EDI, SAP IDOCs, CSV, single-variable delimited, multi-variable delimited, fixed length, variable length, and many, many more.
Some of the functional highlights of the NLINK Flat File eXtender include:
- The NLINK Flat File eXtender automatically handles FTP connections for remote storage and/or retrieval of files as well as local storage and retrieval.
- Input and/or output can be scheduled or triggered by user action.
- The NLINK Flat File eXtender is extremely configurable and can be used to create formatted reports for electronic distribution.
- Path and file names can automatically include a large variety of time and date stamps.
- The NLINK Flat File eXtender can accumulate data from multiple transactions, users and/or systems before producing an outbound file.
- Sophisticated file management, including file system trigger and FTP, is built in – you don’t have to rewrite it each time. Set up one base configuration for a given external system and then easily set up new formats or change existing formats without rewriting anything.
The NLINK Flat File Wizard